7.05.2013

Special: Fourth of July in London.

A few days ago there was a massive celebration in Trafalgar Square for Canada day. I wondered, would America get a party? Answer: lots of tavern specials on burgers while their screens play "American movies," or, as one Brit put it "movies."

While I couldn't find the scale of celebration I was looking for, I did go around and photograph everything American I could find. I wasn't looking for propaganda, but--
At the British Library, it's not just CCTV that's watching you.
And Sam looks a little scary, but you can still go some places in London and swell with pride. Mostly if you go to the science museum.

I saw this and felt all kinds of patriotic! Too bad we scrapped the space program...
On the bright side, we totally fooled the Brits with that landing a spaceship in Arizona gag.

Pictured: the reason you can't find
4th of July celebrations in England.
I searched on for something American. And! I found a really good object to commemorate the 4th of July, or rather October 19, 1781:

In the Victoria-Albert museum, we have the Lafayette vase! Which was given to Lafayette by someone, and has a picture of General Cornwallis surrendering to G-Dawg Washington.

Unfortunately, the Ben Franklin House was totally sold out. But that's ok, because I feel like I'm pretty close to the historical aspect at all times. I am running around London with a Th: Jefferson's Monticello waterbottle, after all. 

So after finding some history, I realized it wasn't enough to get into a proper 4th of July spirit. What I really needed was a field, a pool, beers all around, some burgers grilling, and a whole lot of fireworks exploding. 

I didn't find anyone drinking beer in red cups* 

I didn't find a pool. 

I didn't find any fireworks.

But I did find something better. 

Much, much better. 

Five Guys: a great subtle way for everyone to celebrate July 4th
without really coming off as pro-America.
Five Guys: like me, started in Virginia. But this is the first ever Five Guys in the United Kingdom!!! It's in soho. Kind of a big deal. I'm not the only one who thought so.

The line, part I. They thought so too.
And the line went on...
The line, part II. Queuing: the British hobby.
And on...
The end of the line.
This was a lot of people waiting for burgers. Was there an incentive? Free burgers? Free anything? Nope. Not even a little.  

Refresh my mind, how much is a Bacon Cheeseburger in Cville? Less than 8.75 pounds, I think...
So I didn't actually wait in line for an hour to get a burger. 
But seeing the grand opening happen really made America day more American.


*Red cups are impossible to find across the pond, and much coveted. If you travel to the UK/Europe, pack your own beerpong set in your luggage, and you will make all the friends.

No comments: